Spider is located near Gallupville in Schoharie County, NY.
It is a short horizontal cave with a picturesque entrance.
Spider does not require special permission or a release form for caving trips for regular users.
Special use groups such as summer camps, church groups, and school groups are asked to contact the NCC special use coordinators to schedule trips into the cave. Due to the size of the cave, Spider is not recommended for special use groups.
- Standard caving gear will be required. This includes helmet with a chinstrap; three (3) sources of light, one of which is mounted to the helmet.
- Minimum group size is 3. In special circumstances, permission will be granted to 2 individuals.
- The group's leader is responsible for each person in the group, including that they have their own vertical gear and are familiar with its use.
- Cave exploration and hiking on karst terrain may involve risk or injury, even death from various hazards, both obvious and obscure, including, but not limited to, slippery and uneven ground, open pits, injury by acts of other people, falling, being struck by falling objects, becoming lost, the presence or sudden appearance of water, and hypothermia. All cave visitors are expected to abide by the normally accepted rules of safe and conservation minded caving as outlined by the National Speleological Society, 6001 Pulaski Pike, Huntsville, Alabama 35810-1122.
- Spider Cave must be treated as a unique natural resource, and nothing should be taken out of the cave except trash.
- All work projects must be clearly defined and authorized beforehand.
- Each group is expected to clean up any trash in the cave or on the property.
- Special Use Groups: Insurance or certificate thereof may be required for private groups such as schools, camps, and scouts. A waiver of liability form must be signed for each and every minor by parents. Groups such as the Boy Scouts will be required to show proof that they are complying with their own rules regarding caving.
If you have questions about this preserve, please contact the preserve manager at firstname.lastname@example.org