

Minutes

December 9, 2018 10:00 AM
Schoharie, NY

Meeting called to order at 9:59am

1. Introduction and greetings – Robert Simmons

2. Attendance

Officers: R. Simmons, T. Engel, M. Berger, B. Folsom

Trustees: M. Chu, D. Hedges, J. Morris-Siegel, P. Rubin, C. Young, M. Ingalls, R. Armen

3. Absent with proxy: None

4. Absent without designated proxy: W. Russell, A. Traino

The board may appoint proxies from the members in attendance.

Hedges moves to appoint E. Nieman as proxy for W. Russell

For: All

[E. Nieman is appointed as proxy for W. Russell]

5. Nominating Committee Report: See “Nominating Committee” subsection of Attachment A

6. Simmons moves to convene a meeting of the Trustees to hold elections for the officer positions with terms that expire this year (Vice President and Treasurer). Morris-Siegel will preside over the meeting as Chairman of the Trustees and will report. *The Trustees may decide to go into Executive Session. Officers and visitors may be asked to leave the room.*

Second by Morris-Siegel

For: All

[Motion passes - Trustees go into special session at 10:04am and exit special session at 10:05am.]

Morris-Siegel reports:

Trustees' Report: Vice President: T. Engel (2 year term)

Treasurer: B. Folsom (2 year term)

Officers are seated and the meeting resumes at 10:05am.

7. Officers' Reports

President: Attachment A

Vice President: Attachment B

Treasurer: Attachment C

Secretary: Attachment D

8. Simmons moves to open the Committee of the Whole. The Vice president will preside. Items may be entered as new business.

Second by Berger

For: Rest

Abstain: Engel

[The Committee of the Whole is opened]

Topics:

1. Use of proxies (Morris-Siegel)

Morris-Siegel noted that he's not a fan of the way our Board allows proxies to be used, especially when we draw them from the audience that happens to be in attendance at a meeting, because much of the business contemplated by the Board at our quarterly meetings relates to issues that have been worked on for a long time, which members drafted to serve as proxies without preparation most likely do not have enough of the relevant background information on. He also noted that he's not aware of other organizations that draw proxies from the audience without prior designation, though Simmons noted that the NSS also follows this practice.

Berger pointed out that often when proxies are designated ahead of time by the absent members, that selection is largely based on whoever can be convinced to attend the meeting, rather than on who has been either closely following issues likely to be discussed at the meeting, or who the absent members have spent time briefing about those issues, and that as a result, the same issue raised by Morris-Siegel can be present with proxies pre-selected by absent Board members. Ingalls notes, as a Board member often absent due to fieldwork, it is usually quite difficult to talk members into serving as proxies, leaving very few choices. Berger suggested that rather than

changing the rules about who may be selected in what manner to serve as a proxy, the concerns may be simpler to address by the Board only choosing to appoint proxies from the audience who they believe to be well-versed in topics relevant to the meeting (for example, because they've attended prior Board meetings, or topics on the agenda relate to committees they're involved with, etc.) and who will act appropriately as a proxy, where "appropriately" includes only exercising their vote on topics they believe they sufficiently understand the background of.

Hedges noted that he learned by first serving as one of these "uninformed" proxies on the Board, and several others currently serving on the Board indicated that this was the case for them as well. Young expressed concern that if we eliminated the ability to freely choose proxies, it might interfere with our ability to conduct business due to quorum requirements [*Ed. in looking over previous minutes, it appears to be the case that it is exceedingly rare for there to be enough absent elected Board members to cause a lack of quorum*]. Folsom noted that the original intent of seating proxies from the audience was to attempt to get more people involved, and that this appears to have worked.

No specific action was requested, and the Board did not decide that any specific business item should come out of this discussion topic.

2. NCKMS 2019 (Berger)

This item was following up on discussion at prior meetings about the NCC's involvement at NCKMS, which the Board has expressed enthusiasm for sponsoring and which several Board members have expressed interest in attending and presenting at. We now have the listing of sponsorship levels, and discussed the options and the benefits of each of them. We chose to support the Symposium at the Holsingeria level for \$600, which includes two complimentary registrations and a booth space. An item will appear in New Business to approve this sponsorship.

3. 2019 Budget discussion (Folsom)

The proposed Budget in the Treasurer's Report was discussed. Two small pairs of adjustments were made, and are reflected in the updated attachment as it appears in these minutes: the Sponsorships expense line was increased from \$700 to \$800 due to the higher-than-usual level at which we have chosen to sponsor NCKMS along with a corresponding change of Other Donations income from \$9,570 to \$9,670. Because we decided during the discussion to apply for an NYSCPP Transaction Grant for the Salamander Cave Preserve acquisition and will have to provide a partial cash match if it is approved, we also added a \$1,500 Grant Expense and a corresponding \$1,500 Grant income.

There was also a brief side discussion about the practice of increasing an income budget line item when we increase an expense line item, why we've historically done it, and whether it's in fact necessary. While we now understand that this practice was passed down to us long ago with an explanation that it was what we must do, we left the exercise of researching whether or why that's the case as an exercise for another time.

4. 40th Celebration recap (Simmons/Davis)

Much of this is covered in the 40th Anniversary Ad-hoc Committee report in Attachment A, as well as Item 9 of the EC Meeting minutes in Attachment D. However, the summary was that it was a great night, many people including Board members enjoyed themselves and found that the event turned out even better than they were expecting, and that there were many more thanks Bob wanted to give than that he ended up with time for.

5. Member Communications (Simmons)

Simmons identified as a challenge we face that we've been focused on *doing* a lot of stuff, but that we're not as *communicative* about those things as we should be with both our members and sometimes the Board. We want to open up more lines of communication. Possible examples of ways to do that include distributing summaries of meetings (perhaps even before the Minutes are ready), and posting more things on the website.

We discussed at length the effect and value of sending physical mailings rather than electronic-only communication - this conversation included our personal experiences with being more likely to read caver-related items that land in our mailbox than ones in our e-mail, the significant financial expense of doing this, the possibility of recovering some of those costs by remembering to include a donation solicitation with every paper mailing (and examples of other organizations perhaps going a bit too far in that practice), the discounts that can be obtained with bulk mailing and the significant labor effort involved in meeting the requirements to send bulk mail as well as difficulty in meeting the minimum volume requirement.

We also talked about the requests to have preserve articles regularly written by the Preserve Managers for the newsletter and how infrequently they've been heeded, whether aligning them with the Management Plan review schedule causes an unreasonably large burden that may be the cause of how few of these articles get written, and whether there's a more interesting set of content we can produce than articles that (when written at all) often turn into something that could be titled "Our Friend the _____ Preserve." Finally, we discussed the mechanics of responding to questions that appear in various committee reports, particularly when the person who submitted the question in the report isn't in attendance at the meeting where it's discussed.

9. Simmons moves to close the Committee of the Whole.
Second by Folsom
For: All
[The Committee of the Whole is closed]

Old Business

None

New Business

10. Berger moves: The minutes of the September 23, 2018 Board Meeting are approved.
Second by Engel
For: Rest
Abstain: Ingalls, Nieman
[The minutes of the September 23, 2018 Board Meeting are approved]
11. Folsom moves: The proposed FY2019 budget as submitted in the December 2018 Treasurer Report and amended during the Committee of the Whole is approved.
Second by Young
For: Rest
Abstain: Nieman
[The FY2019 budget is approved]
12. Simmons moves: The NCC profusely thanks Emily Davis and Mike Warner for their tireless efforts in making the 40th Anniversary celebration event a success.
Second by acclamation
For: All
[The thanks were delivered in person, as Davis and Warner were present]
13. Berger moves: The NCC will sponsor the 2019 NCKMS conference at the "Holsingeria" level for \$600.
Second by Hedges
For: All
[The NCC will sponsor NCKMS 2019 with \$600 in financial support]
14. Folsom moves: The NCC thanks Stacey Fonas and Mike Martuscello for donating refrigerator magnets and coasters to attendees of the 40th Anniversary Dinner.
Second by Berger
For: All
[Stacey Fonas and Mike Martuscello have the NCC's thanks for their donations of these distinctive party favors]
15. Berger moves: The NCC extends its heartfelt thanks to Christine Young for her years of dedicated service to the organization, both on and off the Board.
Second by Morris-Siegel
For: Rest
Abstain: Young
[The NCC's thanks were expressed to Young by several Board members offering comments on what the energy, experience, and initiatives she brought to the organization have meant to it and to us]
16. Folsom moves: The NCC will sponsor the Northeast Bat Working Group (NEBWG)'s 2019 meeting at the \$200 level.
Second by Engel
For: Rest
Abstain: Ingalls
[The NCC will sponsor NEBWG 2019 with \$200 in financial support]
17. Simmons moves: The NCC will apply for a New York State Conservation Partnership Program Transaction Grant funded by the Environmental Protection Fund and administered by the Land Trust Alliance for costs associated with the donation of the Salamander Cave Preserve.
Second by Armen
For: Rest
Abstain: Nieman

[The NCC will apply for an NYSCPP Transaction Grant for the Salamander Cave Preserve donation]

18. Simmons moves: The NCC will dedicate \$750 to the Stewardship Fund for the Salamander Cave Preserve.
Second by Berger
For: Rest
Abstain: Nieman
[The NCC will dedicate \$750 to the Stewardship Fund for the Salamander Cave Preserve]

Informational point: Next EC meeting will be Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 10 AM at Folsom's home on the Upper East Side.

Informational point: the Spring Board meeting will be Sunday March 17, 2019 at 10 AM at MassWildlife in Dalton, MA.

Informational point: the late Spring EC meeting will be Sunday April 28, 2019 at 10am, most likely at Thacher Park or the MHLC offices; there will be a Clarksville Preserve work day on the preceding day.

19. Simmons moves: The NCC Summer meeting will be Sunday June 2, 2019 at 10am at the Chu residence.
Second by Morris-Siegel
For: Rest
Abstain: Nieman
[The NCC Summer meeting will be Sunday June 2, 2019 at 10am at the Chu residence]

20. Simmons moves to convene a special meeting of the Board of Trustees for the consideration of filling the vacancy of C. Young's Trustee seat caused by her resignation as required by her new full-time position.
For: All
[Trustees go into special session at 1:11pm and exit special session at 1:12pm]
[Rubin reports that he moved to appoint E. Nieman to fill C. Young's former Trustee seat until the next election.
Nieman and Young abstained, and all other present Trustees were in favor. E. Nieman will serve as Trustee until newly elected Trustees are seated at the June 2019 Board of Directors meeting.]

21. Simmons moves to thank Emily Davis and Mike Warner for hosting this NCC meeting at their home.
Second by Ingalls
For: All
[This additional round of appreciation was expressed to our hosts]

22. Engel moves to adjourn.
Second by Chu
For: Rest
Against: Morris-Siegel
[The meeting is adjourned]

Meeting adjourned at 1:13pm

**Attachment A
President's Report**

Things have certainly been busy since the September meeting; there have been a number of things going on as we close out 2018

1. The 40th Anniversary Celebration was a success. We could have had a few more people there and some of the timing was a bit off, but all in all, it was very well received and everyone seemed to have a good time! I can't say enough about the work done by Emily and Mike in making this a true pleasure and celebration of the great work done by the NCC over the last 40 years! Hope they are around to help with the 50th in 2028!
2. Acquisitions, the addition to the Clarksville preserve should close right after the Board meeting. Special thanks to Mike Bourgeois for doing all the survey work and setting the new boundary pins, and to Chuck Porter for running hither and yon and dropping coin all over Albany County to get everything properly filed! The future Salamander Preserve is nearing completion and we should be scheduling a closing on that soon, too. See the Acquisition Report for updates on several other initiatives.
3. Thom is meeting with the Thacher Park administration on Thursday the 6th and so we should have an update on how things will progress there next year.
4. Caves for sale: [REDACTED]
5. On a "Good News-Bad News" note, Trustee Christine Young has accepted a significant new position with the State of New York. That's the Great News. Sadly this position requires that she close her private law practice and resign from our Board. That's the bad news! Please join me, as I know you all will, in wishing Christine all the best in this new chapter in her life, she will be missed by us all.
6. We will be having elections for the two officers positions (VP and Treasurer) that are up this meeting, see the Nominating Committee Report (later in this President's Report) for details; thank you Norm.
7. Turning the page, everyone please join me in saying thanks to Chuck Porter, the retiring Editor of the Northeastern Caver! Such a run, thank you Chuck. Oh, and let's start getting material in to new Editor, John Dunham!

Cave Preserve Management Plan Review Schedule

Year	March	June	September	December
2018	Ella Armstrong	Knox		Sellecks
2019	Bensons	Merlins		Onesquethaw
2020	Spider	Clarksville		Bentleys
2021	Ella Armstrong	Knox		Sellecks
2022	Bensons	Merlins		Onesquethaw
2017	Spider	Clarksville		Bentleys

Note: I spoke with Alan Traino at the 40th Celebration and he wishes to remain the Preserve Manager for Ella and Sellecks and will be looking to resume his active duties as soon as he is well enough. Since the Sellecks preserve MP is up for review this meeting, I asked Alan if there were any significant changes or additions needed to the plan as far as he knew. He does not feel that any are necessary at this time. Given the situation, and unless there are some programmatic changes needed (those additions of language that we include in all of our MPs), I would suggest we forgo a formal review this cycle, and approve the plan as is going forward to the next review cycle in 2021.

CAVE PRESERVE REPORTS:

1. Bensons (Luke Mazza)

Progress: Since the last report there was a single trip in late September. Two Bat detectors and one in-cave light detector were successfully installed and maintenance has been ongoing for the bat detectors. One microphone saw a failure and was subsequently replaced (now a known issue). Additional trail markers were posted in early October to make the path a little clearer.

Issues: In the spring some brush and saplings will need to be clipped back on the right-of-way to maintain the usual width of the path. The kiosk posters are fading, but the text and map are still quite clear. Otherwise, the preserve is in good shape.

Plans: Will be continuing to replace batteries and SD cards in the bat detectors where I can slot into the schedule. This is a good excuse to keep an eye on things more often than normal.

2. Bentleys (Devon Hedges)

Plans: Replacing signage at kiosk, rock cairns for trail junctions near old logging paths and areas with sparse overhead foliage, driveway gravel project. Potentially clearing out plastic siding debris

Problems: Driveway ruts from drainage are negotiable but may be significant for some visitors. Determination on historical interest of plastic siding debris should precede removal. Signage includes out-of-date contact information, also shows moisture damage.

Progress: Bat acoustics & human visitation project work is substantial in work completed. Sensor re-deployment following field damage, frequency of collection between Bentley's and other preserves, etc. I think someone else has done two of the changeovers since September initial deployment. Parking lot & driveway measured to solicit work estimates.

3. Clarksville (Thom Engel)

The DEC Restricted Area signs were put up October 1. One was placed on the changing area, one on the kiosk, and one each at the Ward and Gregory entrances. While putting up the sign at Ward two people walked up prepared to enter the cave. I told them the cave was closed and asked if they hadn't seen the sign on the kiosk. They had. I asked what they thought it meant. They thought it had to do with WNS. I told them to read the entire sign. They did and then left. Subsequently, I put up a second sign on the kiosk that simply says CAVE CLOSED and in small font says "Until May 1." The closing on the Crookes parcel should be soon and will, presumably, be covered under the Acquisitions report. We will likely schedule a work day in late April – perhaps the 27th – to do trail work.

4. Ella Armstrong (Alan Traino) No Report

5. Knox (Mitch Berger)

Progress:

- Winter closure signs were posted, though a bit later than hoped
- Hedges and Madewell installed the acoustic monitor for the NYSCPP project
- Haberland, Hedges, and Berger installed the light monitor for the NYSCPP project
- Several trail checkups have occurred, with increased frequency due to the acoustic monitor maintenance schedule

Issues:

- Nothing new
- That Great Divide rope is still there
- Engel and Berger still haven't found time in-season to investigate the poison ivy and possibly parsnip plants

Plans:

- Assist the DEC if/as necessary with January bat count
- Periodic property inspection and trail maintenance
- Possible graffiti removal in Knox and investigation of methods
- Addition of trail markers and re-posting of property
- Boundary marking
- Removal of the Great Divide rope
- Investigation of troublesome plant species

6. Merlins (Morgan Ingalls & Jacob Morris-Siegel)

Another fairly quiet quarter at Merlins. There were two additional trips before the caves closed for the season at the beginning of October. Merlins cave is currently posted, but we need to replace the sign at Dragon Bones. There was one Dome 12 dig trip during this quarter, which had fairly high turnout (12 people in total), including some new younger folks from UMASS Amherst. Overwinter monitoring has been moving along at Merlins, but will be reported elsewhere.

Dome 12 Dig Summary for 2018 from John Dunham:

Early in the year we began stabilizing the sinkhole at Dome 12 to allow safe digging access to the scalloped tube we uncovered at the end of 2017. This tube appears to drain the sinkhole and is partially blocked with gravel and debris, but is difficult to excavate due to overhanging breakdown and loose debris. Over half a dozen dig days in 2018 we stepped back the sinkhole away from the dig face and installed rock retaining walls to prevent gravel and debris from washing in to the tube, and the plan is to continue a single final wall down to the tube level. This will give us easy and safe access to move buckets from the dig face under the north end of the sinkhole. We hope to begin excavating the tube in Spring 2019.

7. Onesquethaw (Thom Engel)

The DEC Restricted Area sign was put up October 1. The farm between the parking area and the entrance has gone under and that land may not be farmed again.

8. Sellecks (Alan Traino) No Report

9. Spider (Kevin Dumont) No Report

OTHER COMMITTEES (PRESIDENT):

Acquisitions (Chuck Porter)

On 18 Nov 2018, Mike Bourgeois went to Clarksville and set the remaining 3 property corners. One of which was the pin Mr. Crookes had requested and which fell in the stream. He also reflagged, in pink flagging, all of the new corners. Mike also noted that if the NCC is going to place plaques or posted signs along their new property line, now may be the time since the woods are nice and open without the vegetation and the pins are visible. We intend to wait for the closing (and no snow) and then post the new boundary and make a new trail from near the kiosk on down to the Gregory entrance.

The Crookes land purchase has been approved by the Town of New Scotland and the Albany County Planning Board. We are now ready for the closing and are scheduling it for immediately after the Board meeting on the 9th.

The Salamander Cave in Kingston survey was completed and the easement area has been delineated. We should now be ready to move to a closing on the property. There have been no additional discussions with the adjacent quarry property owner, to date.

[REDACTED]

Nominating (Norm Berg)

The request for candidates for positions of Vice President and Treasurer resulted in these submissions:

Vice President: Thom Engel, currently the NCC Vice President

Treasurer: Bill Folsom, currently the NCC Treasurer

Over the winter I'll be working on the voting system for the upcoming Trustee elections. The solicitation for Trustee candidates will begin around February 2019.

Risk Management (Mitch Berger)

Progress:

After several false starts, the property insurance for our scientific equipment and other items requested at the last Board meeting was acquired, effective November 1

Issues:

The paperwork related to that property insurance has not yet arrived

Plans:

- Participate in the annual risk-management training LTA requires for Terrafirma discounts
- Add the new Clarksville land to our General Liability policy
- Work on our annual Terrafirma renewal (after we close on Clarksville)
- Add insurance coverage (G/L and Terrafirma) for Salamander if/when we close on it
- Research insurance options for a property we might manage on behalf of another organization
- Assemble the rest of the COMmittee membership
- Pick up other issues that were in-progress with the former ad-hoc committee

Tory’s Cave ad hoc committee (Bob Simmons)

Nothing new since last meeting

40th Anniversary Ad hoc committee (Emily Davis)

Final report on the banquet.

Income;

57 (5 comp dinners) paid dinners	\$1,824.00
VCA	\$500.00
HHG	\$500.00
Budgeted from NCC	\$2,000.00

Total income \$4,824.00

Expenses;

Dinner @29.95 per person x 62=	\$1,856.90
Liquor	\$305.00
Mums	\$33.00
Room rental	\$150.00
Liquor License	\$50.00
Bandanas	\$448.16

(At least 90 left for promotion of some kind or sales)

Total expenses; \$2,843.06

Total to be returned to general fund: \$1,980.94

Emily states that: “I am disappointed that nothing has been put on the website. I made sure there were pictures and an article for the newsletter, publicity in the local press and Facebook posts.” I would add, great coverage in the NE Caver, too.

Bat Hibernation Ad hoc committee (Mitch Berger, Emily Davis, Mike Warner, Morgan Ingalls)

See Attached 11/20/18 Summary from Morgan.

FYI: Tom Engel is working with NY DEC on a plan to possibly open Onesquethaw next season.

Governance ad hoc (Devon Hedges)

Committee hasn't convened.

Work to continue, get summarized, and concluded, hopefully before March.

Barn Dance Subcommittee (Emily Davis)

In hibernation, looking for some new blood (need an overall coordinator for the event as Emily would like to step back, Christa and Leslie have indicated they would coordinate the food and donations again next year).

NCC Overwinter Monitoring Project
Report to the NCC Board, 20Nov2018

Temperature and Humidity

We purchased 11 temperature and humidity data loggers from Onset, since we were unable to purchase the iButton data loggers from Alpha Mach, who apparently no longer makes them. The Onset data loggers have been used in caves before, and should be appropriate for how we want to use them. The current hang up is that the NYDEC, when contacted, would not allow us to enter caves to put these loggers in place (despite seeming to be open to the idea earlier in the year). Currently, these data loggers are being stored at the Office, and we need to decide how to proceed.

Light Sensors

We purchased 11 light sensors from Onset after some confusion with what unit would be appropriate for this project. The light sensors were weather-proofed using either plastic wrap and tape or cut in half IV bags and tape, and were mounted inside all 11 entrances (eight caves) on September 29th and 30th of 2018. These will run over the winter and we should not need to check them until the caves reopen in the spring. However, if anyone is in any of these caves over the winter for another reason (bat count, etc.), it would be worth checking up on them.

Bat Acoustic Detectors

Of the three sections of this project, this has proven the most difficult. We deployed 11 acoustic detectors with 11 microphones to all 11 entrances on September 16th and 17th of 2018. Volunteers have been switching out the batteries and SD (memory) cards on these detectors roughly every two weeks since they were deployed. We've run into a number of problems, the biggest of which is that some animal thinks the microphones look really tasty and has been poking holes in microphones and thus destroying them. This is now a known problem, and the manufacturer (Wildlife Acoustics) has been replacing the damaged mics and has also provided "animal guards" which can be placed over the microphone for protection. In addition, we've also found that our rechargeable batteries don't always last the full two weeks between checks, which means we have lost a few days of data here and there. Other than the edible microphones (a term coined by Mike Warner), the problems that we've run into are fairly typical of acoustic monitoring projects. In addition, we have looked briefly at the acoustic data that's been collected so far, and we are in fact recording bat calls.

Attachment B
Vice President's Report

Bylaws Committee (Joe Levinson)
Nothing to report.

Education (Thom Engel)
The Shenendehowa Science and Health Discovery Night has been scheduled for 12 April 2019 from 6:30PM to 9PM.

Science Committee (Larry Davis)
Nothing to report.

Special Use (Thom Engel)
The Year End report is attached as a PDF.
I already have 7 reservations for CY 2019. All are for Clarksville.

Surprise Cave Committee (Al DeMaria)
We had a fair amount of rain down here, so I did another walk on the Surprise surface. I was checking to see if any of the sinkholes showed any activity from the rain. None of them showed any significant changes. I also checked some of the sinkholes on the Rod & Gun property (before hunting season started!) but not much change there either.
I am going to contact the Albany DEC guy again. He tried to bring up the bat count idea to the New Paltz person a while ago but got no response. I'll try that again.

Thacher Park (Thom Engel)
Thacher has a new assistant park manager, Bill Hein. I had a good conversation with Nola DalGallo, the park manager and the new assistant. The park seems to still think that trips into Hailes should be led. This has been a persistent theme. As Hailes is basically a beginners' cave and the park has facilitated access to the entrance – previously the most dangerous aspect of going to the cave – there shouldn't be any real issue with cave trips. A simplified map showing significant caves and related features has been sent

to the park at their request.

Next year, I think we should consider offering to take Nola and Bill into Hailes at least as far as “Farthest West” at the end of the walking passage.

I will be renewing the permit for next year.

I had a meeting on 12/6/18 with Nola DalGallo, Bill Hein, and Casey Holzworth. We have a conceptual framework for moving forward with recreational caving in Thacher. This requires approval of the regional director before proceeding. Here are the points:

* OPRHP will formally recognize caving as a permissible recreational activity in Thacher Park.

* The only caves to be discussed in the management plan will be those that require permits.

* There was a concern on the part of regional staff that there be objective criteria under which some caves will require permits and others wouldn't. Those criteria would be the presence of endangered or threatened species and those caves where access might pose use conflicts, such as caves adjacent to formal trails. (I don't think this is especially necessary, but I understand OPRHP's need to explain their decisions as they are potentially subject to an Article 78 proceeding.)

* Caves meeting these criteria are Hailes, Fools Cave, Twin Fissure Sink, and other caves along the Indian Ladder Trail except for the Bridal Chamber (Crevice Cave).

* There will be an MOU developed between the NCC and OPRHP. (There is an existing MOU between the TCC and OPRHP.)

* NCC will issue permits for those caves indicated. Permittees will sign in and out at the Visitor Center and will sign a simple waiver. (Again, I don't think this is especially necessary, but OPRHP does have greater concerns because there is a parking fee and that may change the user-owner relationship as per the General Obligations Law.)

* Theoretically, this could be in place by 1 May 2019, but I think 2020 is a more realistic goal.

Attachment C
Treasurer Report



Profit & Loss Budget vs. Actual

	<u>Approved</u>	<u>Actual</u>	<u>Approved</u>	<u>Actual</u>	<u>*Proposed*</u>
	<u>FY2017</u>	<u>FY2017</u>	<u>FY2018</u>	<u>FY2018</u>	<u>FY2019</u>
Ordinary Income/Expense					
Income					

Donations					
Auction Donations	2,400.00	2,168.26	2,400.00	3,106.61	2,000.00
Donations - Other	5,805.00	8,587.01	7,170.00	21,924.70	9,670.00
Total Donations	8,205.00	10,755.27	9,570.00	25,031.31	11,570.00
Grants					
Grants	0.00	4,700.00	6,000.00	26,000.00	1,500.00
Interest Earned	10.00	18.58	10.00	19.93	15.00
Membership Income	4,300.00	4,165.00	3,500.00	3,420.00	2,930.00
Total Income	12,515.00	19,638.85	19,080.00	54,471.24	14,515.00
Expense					
40th Anniversary					
Acquisitions	2,000.00	0.00	2,000.00	7,400.00	2,000.00
Bank Charges	85.00	33.22	50.00	103.44	75.00
Donations-outgoing	200.00	100.00	200.00	0.00	200.00
Dues	350.00	350.00	350.00	250.00	350.00
Education	50.00	0.00	50.00	0.00	50.00
Executive					
President	100.00	0.00	100.00	0.00	100.00
Secretary	50.00	0.00	50.00	0.00	50.00
Treasurer	50.00	0.00	50.00	0.00	50.00
VP	50.00	0.00	50.00	0.00	50.00
Total Executive	250.00	0.00	250.00	0.00	250.00
Grant Expense					
Grant Expense			0.00	21,004.51	1,500.00
Insurance	3,025.00	2,536.00	2,000.00	1,993.00	2,280.00
Legal Fees	1,000.00	0.00	1,000.00	0.00	1,000.00
Licenses & Permits	50.00	350.00	50.00	0.00	500.00
Meeting Expense	100.00	0.00	100.00	0.00	100.00
Meetings/Conferences	170.00	170.00	170.00	0.00	200.00
Membership Expenses	100.00	100.00	100.00	0.00	100.00
Miscellaneous	100.00	0.00	100.00	0.00	100.00
Office Expense	100.00	0.00	100.00	54.00	100.00
Postage	100.00	195.37	100.00	0.00	100.00
Preserves					
Bensons	250.00	62.05	1,150.00	0.00	250.00
Bentleys	600.00	20.00	1,300.00	0.00	100.00
Clarksville	300.00	20.00	1,350.00	0.00	100.00
Ella Armstrong	100.00	20.00	600.00	0.00	100.00
Knox	100.00	20.00	1,100.00	0.00	100.00
Merlins	100.00	20.00	900.00	0.00	100.00
Onesquethaw	100.00	20.00	950.00	0.00	50.00
Sellecks	100.00	20.00	100.00	0.00	100.00
Spider	175.00	159.23	100.00	0.00	100.00
Total Preserves	1,825.00	361.28	7,550.00	0.00	1,000.00
Printing					
Printing	1,000.00	984.31	1,000.00	0.00	0.00
Promotion					
Promotion	1,300.00	1,384.53	1,300.00	631.50	2,000.00
Publishing					
Mailings	50.00	0.00	50.00	0.00	50.00
Website	60.00	1,400.00	60.00	0.00	60.00
Total Publishing	110.00	1,400.00	110.00	0.00	110.00

Science Sponsorships	300.00	0.00	300.00	0.00	3,000.00
Taxes on Properties	300.00	112.64	200.00	11.24	300.00
Total Expense	12,515.00	8,077.35	19,080.00	33,842.59	14,515.00
Net Ordinary Income	0.00	11,561.50	0.00	20,628.65	0.00

The 2017 federal tax forms (990EZ etc.) and NY Charities Bureau re-registration (CHAR-500) were prepared and submitted before the 11/15/18 deadline. Since the last meeting we received a \$2000 check in support of the Clarksville addition as well as notification from the NSF that we have been awarded \$3000 for same. A Planned Giving brochure was produced for the 40th Anniversary Dinner and has been refined and is now ready for uploading to the website. The Life Membership Fund is now open with Vanguard. Please note the "Proposed" column above, which will be voted upon at this (December) meeting.

Barn Dance Subcommittee - Emily Davis & Mike Warner:

In my opinion the barn dance was a big success. The food budget was lower than past years and we had fewer leftovers. This shows the importance of experience in the buying of the snacks. Christa said she would consider doing this again in the future. We can discuss it in 6-8 months.

The new "Dutch auction" raffle system worked well except for one person taking an item that was not included in their packet. This left Paul with no prize when he won one. Plan to take \$25 profit and buy Paul the gift certificate that he won. I will contact him and see when I can get it to him.

Greg Moore really helped bring the dance to a new level with the addition of 25 RPI students. They seemed to have a great time and several won door prizes.

Income:	
Raffle	\$206.00
Door- 16 families- (32 adults and 11 kids)	\$360
25 students-	\$125
13 singles	\$130
Total door	\$615
Kappler donation	\$300
Pokorny donation	\$50.
Darlene donation	\$24
Total income	\$1195.
Expenses:	
Paul and Co.	\$350.
Food	\$102.34
New gift card for Paul	\$25
Total Expenses	\$477.34
Profit	\$717.66

Investment Committee - John Fioroni:

In Oct 2018 the NCC purchased its first long term investments through Vanguard. As some of you may know, the financial markets have been volatile and heading in a negative direction for the past couple of months. Given this negative trend it makes sense to refrain from buying stocks or funds that invest in stocks, until we see a reversal. As of Nov 7, 2018, the NCC used approximately 30% of its portfolio to purchase IBDK, with the rest in VMFXX. IBDK is a short term bond ETF, and VMFXX is a money market, with current yields of ~3.00% and ~2.19%, respectively. At some point in the future, we will be transitioning to more of a balanced portfolio, with a traditional mix of stock funds and bond funds; but let's not rush into it.

I have asked Bill Folsom to add me to the Vanguard account as someone that is authorized to buy and sell investments.

Membership Committee - Peter Youngbaer:

Progress:

Membership Renewals and New Members:

All renewal notices for memberships up through January 15, 2019 have been sent, a second and third notices, as appropriate (again back through 8/31/18). The data base is current as of today, December 3.

Our current membership stands as follows, compared to the baseline of April 22, 2012:

December 4, 2018		April 22, 2012 (baseline)	
Life:	63	Life:	18
Family Life:	9	Family Life:	0
Benefactor:	11	Benefactor:	10
Regular:	68	Regular:	88
Family: 13		Family: 16	
Institutional:	9	Institutional:	3
Total:	173	Total:	135

Note: Total in September was 180. High point was 209 in March, 2017

Institutional Members: We held steady at nine: Boston Grotto, Central Connecticut Grotto, Met Grotto, Northern New Jersey Grotto, Helderberg-Hudson Grotto, Vermont Cavers Association, New Jersey Initial Response Team, Camp Echo Lake, and Cornell University. If your grotto or organization isn't listed here, please urge them to renew or join. Thank you.

Problems:

We continue to see lapsed memberships, especially from people who are active cavers. Below is a list of all who have lapsed in 2018. However, this does not include active folks who have lapsed in 2017 or before. Hopefully, the NCC Board members can use this list to contact people they know to renew. If they've been lapsed for more than a year, we can give them a new anniversary date to coincide with their re-joining, thus giving them a full year of membership. Bob could also mention giving a gift membership in his end-of-the-year President's letter.

Plans:

Normal Operations: Will continue to send renewal notices, as well as second and third notices, as applicable.

Next Report: I will take a different tack for next meeting and include a current list of up-to-date members. Hopefully, the Board members will take a look at the list and ask, "Where's so-and-so?" and then reach out.

Office Committee Report - Emily Davis & Mike Warner:

Problems: Some stress with project coordination and added work load.

Progress: Finding success with project coordination and keeping it moving forward. Successfully coordinating the 40th event.

Plans: Continue with above for the next year plus.

Publications – Christa Hay:

Progress: I uploaded the newsletter to the NCC website and emailed the link to the membership. Other emails sent to members include nominations and newsletter article requests.

Plans: would like inventory of swag so I can start thinking for next years needs.

Problems: Continuing issues with lack of articles for the newsletter. I would like to go back to having a preserve highlighted in the newsletter. Articles that include trips and people visiting the properties are especially needed. It was working for several years and helped to round out the newsletter and keep our members informed. But some managers were not participating and it was stated that

maybe there is too much work to be done. I believe it can be done when given the 2-3 month time line that happened in the past. Some managers did produce good articles others could not submit in a timely fashion.

If other board members have some ideas on articles please let the committee know.

As of the writing of this report there have been no minutes posted to the NCC website since 2017, a whole year. Knowing the history of the board, and as a life time member, I find this unacceptable. I am hoping this issue can be remedied soon. This issue is part of publicity as the website and publicity go hand in hand.

Technology Committee Report – Mike Chu:

Status Quo. Had some questions come in on closure dates despite having the information on the website. Might be good to investigate making the closure information more eye catching?

Volunteer Value Committee – Vince Kappler:

Progress: Year to date totals: 1456 hours of volunteer work for NCC projects for a total value of \$52,378.00. Members also reported traveling a total of 13,899 miles to work on NCC projects.

Treasurer, Membership, Merlins, and Office committees reported this cycle as well as individuals working on the NYSCPP Grant and 40th Banquet. Also, many thanks to Paul (research) and Alvin (Surprise Liaison) for the data on their special projects. I suspect managers spent considerable time prepping for cave closures and the officers should encourage them, as well as any other committees, to send me their VV information in order for it to be included in this year's totals.

Plans: I will send periodic VV reminders to the membership and monitor data collection.

Problems: None at this time.

**Attachment D
Secretary's Report**

**EC Meeting Minutes
October 28, 2018, 10:00am
HRP Associates**

Called to order: 10:07am

Present: B. Simmons, T. Engel, M. Berger, B. Folsom, W. Russell, J. Morris-Siegel (for part of the meeting)

1) Investment Account Access

We discussed Investment Committee updates and raised some questions that Bill will discuss with Vanguard.

2) Notice of Risk Timelines

A Notice of Risk form that arrived in the mail a month or so after the related Special Use Group trip occurred raised a question over e-mail about whether we require those to come in in advance. Thom explained that back when we did waivers, unless a group had a history of breaking the rules (in which case we required receipt and verification by the Office Committee of the properly filled-out waivers prior to issuing the permit), they were told that they could mail the waivers on or before the day of the trip (our receipt was not a prerequisite for issuing the permit, though one of the conditions listed on the permit was that it was invalid if the waivers had not been properly filed).

When we switched to using the Notice of Risk, we maintained the same style of doing things – that is, the expectation is that when people get a permit, on or before the day of the trip, they'll send the Notice of Risk form to us. Similar to what we did with waivers, if it's a group we deal with multiple times a year and we fail to receive the paperwork, they get a stern warning, and then if their reliability doesn't improve, we switch to requiring receipt of the paperwork before issuing a permit. The problem is that it's a major nuisance to manage a requirement that we receive and verify paperwork before issuing a permit, because those tasks are handled by different people on different travel schedules.

Bob inquired about whether electronic signatures would help with this, and Mitch recounted his discussion with SCCi last year about their online permit/waiver system, as well as notes from his prior conversations with MIT lawyers about electronic signatures. No changes are immediately planned to how we handle Special Use; the topic was simply raised due to surprise at how drastically late the

involved paperwork arrived.

3) Year-end Letter

There will be one this year. We discussed a number of things to recap – a couple of acquisitions, the 40th anniversary celebration, the Barn Dance, Planned Giving, the NYSCPP Outside Influences project, and a teaser to watch for info about a Members' Appreciation day next year.

4) Website Updates

Thom mentioned that he was very happy with an initiative Ramon took on. Thom had sent him a request to get rid of the years listed with the closure dates listed on the website for Clarksville and Onesquethaw. Ramon did so for all of the preserves, and sent a request to each of the preserves' managers asking them to look at their sections of the website, see if there's wording they want changed, compare what's there with their current management plans, etc.

5) NYSCPP / LTA Grant Project Progress

Bill asked for a general update on the project since what had been reported at the last Board meeting. Mitch explained that the first two cycles of acoustic monitor changeovers had gone well, with several people involved, and that in fact there were enough volunteers in the pool that there's been slight disappointment at not having enough sites to send everyone somewhere for each changeover! We'll see how that holds up over the course of the year, particularly once the weather is atrocious. We also received and managed to install all of the in-cave light monitors before the closure deadline with a major push that occupied many volunteers the entire final weekend of September, so we expect to have the desired data.

Issues Mitch reported on include that the temperature and humidity monitors were received too late to install prior to the closure deadline, and when we contacted the DEC to plan arrangements to be accompanied on installation trips, they told us that wouldn't be possible (except in Knox, where a bat count is planned for January this year), which was distinctly different from what we had understood from our meeting with the DEC before the acoustic monitor installations began. As a group, we've concluded that this setback is probably not a huge problem, because the only scientific writeup due at the end of Phase 1 (the first year of the project) is a preliminary analysis of the light monitor data; the temp/humidity data wouldn't have analysis and a report written based on it until the second year, and we should be able to collect an appropriate year of data from May 2019 through May 2020 and use that, as the cave temperature and humidity should not change year to year in any appreciable way. Another issue is that some animal has been breaking microphones for the acoustic monitors in a variety of locations. These breakages are being covered by warranty service, but have been causing some gaps in our data while they're out of service; Wildlife Acoustics has designed a modification we'll be able to install to shield the microphones in the next few weeks. Finally, the rechargeable batteries have not been reliably lasting the full two weeks at a shot that we'd been hoping for (this was a difficulty we expected), and we're working on deciding how to adjust in response.

Thom expressed some surprise at learning about our selection of light monitor location in Onesquethaw, and also told us about a yearlong temperature study that Chuck Porter did in the past in Clarksville. After Mitch described some of the conversation he had with Morgan about the temp/humidity data (largely, that what would be more scientifically interesting is multiple sensors in interesting locations in each cave, as opposed to one per cave, and correlating that with bat count data in each location to understand how changes such as the filled-in entrance of Surprise Cave have altered the habitat), we agreed that the idea of collaborating with the DEC on a larger project involving not only NCC caves once we get past the requirements of the current endeavor would be a great thing to do.

6) 2019 Budget

Bill took some notes at the last meeting. New items for next year's budget include:

- o A 10x10 pop-up tarp (he will ask Mike W. about pricing)
- o The Members' Appreciation Day (we settled on a \$500 placeholder for it)
- o NCKMS sponsorship – Mitch contacted Wil Orndorff, they would like us to be involved, and will let us know when the sponsorship level info is available

Bill is dealing with taxes and the NYS Charities Bureau. We will need to pay the NYS Attorney General \$100 (up from \$50) because our assets went over \$250k this past year (due to the NYSCPP grant money, primarily). He also reports that we need to upgrade QuickBooks (or possibly go online), and that our accountant is looking at comments Mitch provided about our Form 990 from last year.

With respect to grants, we budgetted \$6k this past year for the NYSCPP project because we'd have to put in some of our own money and to hedge against not receiving the Wildlife Acoustics grant (which is indeed what happened). Bill asked if this line item can go away next year. We decided to put in a \$3k placeholder, because if we're funded for Phase 2 (the second year of the three-year project), we will still have to match 25% of the grant (and only half of that can come from volunteer value). The proposal for Phase 2 can't be written until much further along in Phase 1, so we're ballparking it. As for the current year of the NYSCPP project, Bob and Mitch will work with Morgan in November to figure out if we want to budget some amount for operational expenses that weren't included with the grant money. Bill asked if we should continue to distribute this across the preserves, and we concluded it might be more logical to place it under the Science budget.

7) Property Insurance

The Board stipulated that the deductible on the Property Insurance policy we seek to protect our new scientific gear not exceed \$500. Unfortunately, the policies provided by the underwriter used by our agent for our current insurance policies begin with \$1000 deductibles. Mitch discussed why this wouldn't make sense to meet our needs for this equipment with the agent, who agreed, and offered to try to negotiate with the underwriters for a one-off deal in our case. However, a weeks-long game of phone tag has ensued since, with no real signs of progress, and it's difficult to know where the hangup is. But the fact remains that we've been at this for over a month, and the gear we were trying to protect is out there in the field exposed to potential vandalism or theft. We decided that Mitch would make one more attempt at nudging them along with a strong indication that we'd have to look elsewhere if we didn't get a quote within our Board-defined parameters soon.

8) Acquisitions

Clarksville – We're trying to get confirmation that we're done with the town process. Mike B.'s update is that he submitted a revised copy of the survey to the Town of New Scotland. We're done with the written description, but waiting for the Town to be satisfied with the survey. The next update is expected to come the day after this EC meeting. The holdups basically consist of the Town's approval of the lot line adjustment (the County indicated that they don't need to do anything), and making sure that the Town believes that all the things they've requested to be in the survey are now there. Then Christine can work on the deed once the legal description is written, we can schedule a closing date, and we can pay the money.

Salamander – The surveyor has disappeared again, and Bob needs to hunt him down. He produced the last time we pressured him, but then went “poof” when we asked about getting the new pin on the map. The one mitigating circumstance here, given how quickly the owners would like to close on this donation, is that the surveyor we're using is the one they recommended.

9) 40th Anniversary Recap

All in all, it was a great time, but we ran short on time to thank and recognize a lot of people. We should have a motion to thank Mike and Emily for all their work on the event at the next meeting. Bill will produce a PDF of the Planned Giving brochure we distributed, and Mitch will share it with representatives from the other conservancies that agreed to share efforts on that topic at the Cave Conservancies Roundtable at Convention.

10) Members' Appreciation Day

The event is likely to take the form of a barbeque with things like burgers and hot dogs at a place like Thacher. There is a fee for the use of the pavillion, and for parking (though we may be able to work out a bulk payment deal with them). We discussed the issues of inclement weather and porta-potties. We also tossed around ideas for alternate locations. The Slingerlands fire house has a pavillion (it's down near where Thom lives). There's Lasalle Park. There's Schoharie. There's the Town of Knox. There's Clarksville. There are issues no matter where we go, and sadly we don't yet have a property that really lends itself to this kind of event (parking and inclement weather plans being the major difficulties), so it's likely to be at Thacher. We could plan to have one of the Thacher Work Days coincide with the event (which would mean people could go into Hailes). Convention is in June next year, so we should be targetting July or August for this, and discussed what to look out for when scheduling. We identified that we should inquire about the Speleobooks travel schedule, avoid the second full weekend of a month because of Mitch's West Virginia commitments, look out for things like OTR, TAG, MAR, VAR, NASBR, Convention, NCRC, NRO, and NCKMS. We also noted that it's quite likely to be unavoidable to collide with one of these things, and wondered whether SCCi's analogous event is something that's hard-scheduled for a particular weekend, or how they decide which things to dance around when scheduling; Mitch agreed to find out. At this point, we're thinking late July to mid-August.

11) Barn Dance Recap

Bob doesn't have a total yet, but we know that we made some money. We're still not fully staffed for next year's event; Leslie and Christa have indicated that they'd sign up again next year, but Emily wants someone who she can act as an assistant to while mentoring them to take over. We discussed the idea that we should have a page for this under an Events page on the website, perhaps with links to sponsors. If we do that, the Events page should have several things on it so that it doesn't look like we just have one event. However, we thought about what else would belong on such a page, and concluded that it would be easy to populate it with a handful of things.

12) NSF Grant for Clarksville

We think they might be meeting on November 11, shortly after which we hope to know whether we're going to receive the grant we applied for (which Mitch presented to their Board on at Convention).

13) Landowner Relations

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED]

The idea of having a Landowner Relations Committee was also brought up.

14) Getting New Volunteers Involved

Mitch reminded us of a discussion at the previous Board meeting about getting new volunteers involved (this discussion came up while discussing how to fill in for Alan until he's able to resume his duties, and sort of was forgotten about because it was somewhat of a sidenote in that conversation). Bob will follow up with the folks we were discussing.

Adjourned: 3:34pm