

NORTHEASTERN CAVE CONSERVANCY, INC

**Minutes**

September 24, 2017 10:00 AM  
Thacher Park Visitor Center  
Thacher Park, NY

Meeting called to order at 10:08

1. Introduction and greetings – Robert Simmons

2. Attendance

Officers: R. Simmons, V. Kappler, B. Folsom

Trustees: M. Berger, M. Chu, T. Engel, M. Ingalls, P. Rubin, W. Russell, A. Traino, C. Young

3. Absent with proxy: J. Morris-Siegel – J. Dunham proxy.

4. Officers' Reports

President: Attachment A

Vice President: Attachment B

Treasurer: Attachment C

Secretary: Attachment D

5. Simmons moved to open the Committee of the Whole. The Treasurer will preside. Items may be entered as new business.

2nd by Engel

For: All

**Passed**

Topics:

- 1) 40<sup>th</sup> Anniversary: Suggested fee to hold event at Thacher was discussed as well as other venues. The NCC will earmark funds in the 2018 budget to provide financial support for the event.
- 2) Thom: should we ban a Special Use group for violating rules? Board discussion supported manager and Vice President will write a letter to offending group with input from manager.
- 3) Barn Dance: E. Davis thanked board for support; confirmed helpers for setup/teardown at event but could use a few more; food, raffle items/prizes all on track. Emily indicated she would like to step down as chair of this committee after next year, the event's 10<sup>th</sup> anniversary.
- 4) Young: LTA grant for Spider preserve – review of items still needing completion and a plan advanced to get them done to close out the grant.
- 5) Young: 2018 LTA grants – multiple items identified in different categories eligible for grant funding. Young to follow up with members for more details (prices, number needed, timelines, etc.).
- 6) Kappler: Any updates on Merlins easement? Nothing since last communicate with other property owner's attorney.
- 7) Simmons: President/Vice President work load. (Move to Executive Session)
- 8) Berger: Convention Conservancy Round Table report – This session wasn't as well-attended due to being rescheduled and relocated. Mitch (and Emily during a post-vendor-teardown visit) spent much of the session helping smaller younger conservancies understand what we've learned about liability and insurance. The few questions he came with mostly got non-committal answers. Overall, we found we're fairly up on the learning curve as far as cave conservancies go.
- 9) Berger: Sharing legal research that NCC commissioned on liability with other conservancies – VP to email attorney that prepared report for permission to share attorney his work product (P. Youngbaer has contact info). C. Young will help VP compose request.
- 10) Berger: Waivers – update practice: new insurance guidelines and liability recommendations allow us to change guidelines. Primary issue is notifying parents of minors visiting caves as a member of a Special Use Group. Board consensus focused on camp leaders verifying they have advised parents of risk statement approved by our attorney. Issue to be addressed again before 2018 caving season.
- 11) Davis: NRO Auctions – Discussed the upcoming fundraising effort for the new Gage cabin and whether the NCC would be willing to contribute proceeds from two auctions to that fund to help seed the donation pool. We ended up settling on a different direction to start – attempt to obtain an LTA grant for the cabin as a project we'd partner with the NSS on.

6. Chu moved to close the Committee of the Whole.

Second by Traino

For: All

**Passed**

Old Business

7. Electronic vote conducted July 29 to August 9, 2017

Berger moved: The proposal submitted by the Acquisitions Committee to acquire [REDACTED] is accepted. The Acquisitions Committee and their designees are authorized to enter into negotiations [REDACTED]

Second by: Traino  
For: All  
**Passed**

New Business

8. Traino moved to suspend agenda and go into Executive Session to discuss future acquisitions.

Second by Young  
For: All  
**Passed**  
**Executive Session I 1:10 – 1:50**

Return to open session at 1:55  
Traino leaves the meeting at 1:55

9. Simmons moved to accept the minutes of the June 11, 2017 board meeting.

Second by Engel  
For: All  
**Passed**

10. Folsom moved: The NCC will establish an Investment Committee:

The Investment Committee is established as a permanent committee assigned to the Treasurer's Department. The Committee is responsible for directing the investments of the Northeastern Cave Conservancy, Inc. and those investments shall be collectively referred to as the Portfolio. The Investment Committee has overall responsibility for the operation and administration of the Portfolio. The members of the Investment Committee are fiduciaries of the Portfolio with respect to all responsibilities allocated to them by the Board. The members will discharge their duties solely on behalf of the sponsoring organization's mission in accordance with its specific terms.

The committee will consist of five members. Each member shall be appointed by the Board for three years. The terms of the members shall be staggered to the extent practicable. Each member shall acknowledge their membership in writing. Members shall serve at the pleasure of the Board.

The Committee shall report any substantive changes to the Portfolio to the Treasurer for inclusion in the Treasurer's quarterly reports, to include an annual summary of the Portfolio for the December annual meeting.

Second by Berger  
Abstain: Dunham  
For: Rest  
**Passed**

11. Folsom moved to amend Act 12-125 Life Membership Fund to ~~<<delete>>~~:

Act 12-125 Life Membership Fund 12/04/16:15  
The NCC shall establish a Life Membership Fund ~~<<with the National Speleological Foundation (NSF)>>~~ and deposit all funds collected for Life Memberships into this fund.

Second by Kappler  
For: All  
**Passed**

12. Young moved to amend Act 21-59 Cave and Karst Acquisition Policy by inserting confidentiality statement immediately after *Overview*:

Confidentiality: All offers, negotiations and details of acquisition projects are to be kept in strict confidence within the board until after a contract has been signed. Under no circumstances shall the internal board discussions concerning offer details be made public. Once a contract has been signed, the board may elect to make it public by developing fundraising, media, and outreach plans to raise awareness and public support, and any additional funds.

Second by Berger

For: All

**Passed**

13. Simmons moved: The NCC will allocate up to \$2000.00 in support of a 40<sup>th</sup> anniversary celebration.

Second by Young

Abstain; Engel

Absent: Chu

For; Rest

**Passed**

Informational point: next EC meeting will be November 5, 2017 at 10 A.M. - Connecticut

Informational point: next Board meeting will be December 3, 2017 at 10 A.M. - Speleobooks

Informational point: Spring EC meeting will be February 4, 2018 at 10 A.M. – New York City

14. Simmons moved: The NCC Spring meeting will be March 18, 2018 at 10 A.M. – MA (tentative)

Second by Chu

For: All

**Passed**

15. Simmons moved to thank Thacher Park and their staff for hosting this NCC meeting.

Second by Rubin

For: All

**Passed**

16. Simmons moved: The NCC will go into Executive Session to discuss personnel.

Second by Kappler

For: All

**Passed**

**Executive Session II 3:05- 4:20**

Traino returns to meeting approximately 3:15

17. Young moved: The Risk Management Committee Chairman is authorized to cast the NCC's vote in Terrafirma's upcoming Members Committee election, and shall consult with any interested Board members to determine which of the candidates will receive the NCC's vote.

Second by Traino

For: All

**Passed**

18. Simmons moved to adjourn.

Second by Engel

For: All

**Passed**

Meeting adjourned at 4:30

**Attachment A  
President's Report (by Vice President)**

**Cave Preserves:** Preserve Schedule

Management Plan Review

Year	March	June	September	December
2017	Spider	Clarksville		Bentleys
2018	Ella Armstrong	Knox		Sellecks
2019	Bensons	Merlins		Onesquethaw
2020	Spider	Clarksville		Bentleys
2021	Ella Armstrong	Knox		Sellecks
2022	Bensons	Merlins		Onesquethaw

**Notable items and issues:**

1. NCC was represented events. Special Jose Martinez and helped out as run-something different

much of the lesser value items on a table with a donation jar which worked quite well and allowed us to focus on the better items for the auction. We also gained a few new members and renewals at both events.

2. Work obligations kept me from attending OTR as planned.

3. NCC/CCG work day at Tory's Cave to clean our sinkhole in preparation for installation of a cave gate.

4. NCC/CCG trip to [redacted] to install light data loggers to monitor visitation over the winter months for the owners as a follow up to the Acquisitions Committee visit earlier this year.

at the Spring and Fall NRO thanks to our auctioneers Alan Traino and to all who ners and organizers. We tried at Spring NRO by placing

**President's position still needs to be filled, advertising has been placed. To date we have had one inquiry.**

**CAVE PRESERVE REPORTS:**

**1. Bensons (Luke Mazza)**

**Progress:** Visited the property on 8/11 and mowed the right of way which was starting to resemble a field. The trail was walked as well as some of the rest of the parcel. The preserve was noted to be in good shape.

4 permits were issued since the last report in June and 2 of those were not actually used that I'm aware of. I expect at least a couple more trips to Bensons before the close of the caving season.

**Issues:** Removing the bagged trash from the spring sinkhole cleanup is an outstanding task that I intend to take care of before the end of Fall 2017 once I coordinate the right vehicle and preferably one or two volunteers.

**Plans:** Currently targeting October 7th for the removal of the bags of trash. If anyone is interested in joining let me know. This task should be made easier by the fact that MOSA (the dump) is right around the corner.

**2. Bentleys (Devon Hedges)**

A good many trail work days, majority of trail is widened to match the lower sections; roughly 5-7' wide. Lots of Stinging Nettle cleared a overhanging or fallen, but still attached branches cleared.

Constructed a primitive wood raft from fallen branches to cover an upper, wet trail section seems promising. Not a lot of nearby rock comparatively, so branches being lighter makes for a better plan.

Fall work will likely include improving the corduroy/raft, maybe constructing some rock cairns to make way finding easier in some sections without conspicuous trees to fix trail markers on. These cairns could be built up over time by future visitors/work parties to make for semi-permanent markers for when undergrowth gets high. Brochure bin is needed for kiosk. A new sign for the preserve is needed as the old is water damaged though no clear sign of ongoing roof problems. A sign without Jay Spivak's personal email on it would be good, I'd think.

Nothing notable in- the cave other than some trash pickup. During a guided trip for about six visitors during Fall NRO, a young family, recently having visited Clarksville Caves (Ward's section), wanted to give it a go. Got flustered at getting belly-down in cold water. Lots of logged visitors, though; I can get a more accurate count of that and my number of visits if anyone likes.

**3. Clarksville (Thom Engel)**

There were reports of garbage being dumped in the lower parking area. One of the special use groups picked it all up. There are also reports of graffiti in the cave. RPI Outing Club has offered to clean it up.

**4. Ella Armstrong (Alan Traino)**

No report.

**5. Knox (Mitch Berger)**

Progress: Trail maintenance, and a perimeter check have happened; no signs of trouble. Issued 19 permits since the last report; the early part of the season was atypically slow, but visitation surged in September.

Issues: The launch of the new website (followed by a postal mailing about it) caused many people to be misinformed about the permit requirement, start sending in ancient trip release forms, etc. Very few people seem to have taken brochures. There's still a rope at the Great Divide of unknown age/origin. There's a bunch of poison ivy, and possibly poison parsnip along the trail.

Plans: Post the annual closure signs. Periodic property inspection. Possible graffiti removal in Knox, and investigation of methods. Addition of trail markers and re-posting of property. Boundary marking. Removal of the Great Divide rope. Investigation of troublesome plant species.

**6. Merlins (Morgan Ingalls & Jacob Morris-Siegel)**

Problems- None

Progress- It was a quiet summer at Merlins. We had two trips to the cave this quarter, both of which were during NROs. Work also continued on the Dome 12 dig, and will likely continue this fall.

Plans- The parking area needs to be cleared as it currently has a lot of vegetation. Similarly, the loop trail should be walked and the trail markers need to be checked. A Steward Leader Training should be planned for next summer. The cave will be closed for the season October 1st.

**7. Onesquethaw (Thom Engel)**

Number of permitted trips so far this year is 20 with a mean group size of 5.2.

**8. Sellecks (Alan Traino)**

No report.

**9. Spider (Kevin Dumont)**

No report.

**OTHER COMMITTEES (PRESIDENT):**

**Acquisitions (Chuck Porter)**

Nothing new to report.

**Nominating (Norm Berg)**

Nothing to report.

**Risk Management (Mitch Berger)**

Progress: Switched our General Liability insurance coverage to the Conserve-A-Nation program (and saved a lot of money). Obtained Director's & Officer's insurance coverage. Attended and participated in the Cave Conservancies Roundtable at the NSS annual Convention.

Issues: Investigating a question about the Fiduciary Liability section of our D&O insurance.

Plans: Work on our Terrafirma renewal after December 1. Assemble the rest of the Committee membership. Pick up other issues that were in-progress with the former ad-hoc committee.

**Torys Ad hoc committee (Bob Simmons)**

Assisted the WHLT with a sinkhole cleanup project on August 31. Chris Sanders came in two days later and constructed a bat gate over the main entrance to the cave to complete the gating of the cave as a possible recovery site, post WNS. Gating funds were ob-

tained from USFWS through CT DEEP to WHLT. NCC/CCG labor and mileage used as part of matching grant funding. Next step will be to rewrite the management plan for the cave in conjunction with WHLT staff, now that a number of the recommendations/unknowns have been addressed from the initial MP.

**40th Anniversary Ad hoc committee (Alan Traino)**

No report.

**Bat Hibernation Ad hoc committee (Emily Davis & Mike Warner)**

Progress: None

Problems: Spoke to Fish and Wildlife Service rep in January. He had a plan that would probably allow us to open Onesquethaw but he did not follow through with the work needed to do so.

Plans: Start now to work with him and with Carl Herzog to do the survey work required to get the FS to allow us to open the cave.

We are still looking for someone to take over the committee that can work with intricate interagency regulations.

**Attachment B  
Vice President's Report**

**VP Committee Reports**

**Bylaws Committee (Joe Levinson)**

Nothing new to report.

**Education (Thom Engel)**

Nothing to report.

**Science Committee (Larry Davis)**

No report.

**Special Use (Thom Engel)**

So far this year, I have received a total of 199 reservations. Of this, about 62% are for the months of July and August. Over 82% of those were for Clarksville.

Not counting requests for access during closure, I have denied 11 permits this year. One of these groups came anyway. They claimed they didn't receive my e-mail upholding the denial. This is a group we see once a year. I would like to tell them they are not welcome until the 2020 season. (That seems like a long time, but since they visit once per year, this would only be 2 visits: 2018 and 2019.) I would like a sense of the board on this.

Some groups, due to past problems, are designated as having to submit waivers before being permitted. I have removed this designation for 3 of these groups.

The Boy Scouts have changed their caving rules. They have increased allowable group size from 12 to 14. They allow anyone old enough to be a Boy Scout "to enter easily accessible, non-technical/non-vertical, wild caves." However, they have made equipment rules more stringent. And they have made qualification for trip leaders clearer (and as I read them, more stringent.) "For trips to non-vertical caves, there must be one Qualified Trip Leader, at least 21 years of age, and one additional Trip Leader, that is at least 16 years of age. Qualified Trip Leaders must have recent and ongoing caving experience and preferably be a member of the NSS or equivalent. They must be proficient in all necessary established safety practices including cave rescue, and must also understand conservation measures, courtesy to cave owners, and any current environmental concerns for that caving area. The Qualified Trip Leader must be very familiar with the cave to be visited." It is unclear how this will affect the amount of BSA caving, but if groups strictly adhere to the equipment requirements troops might be hard put to actually run a caving trip.

So far this year I have dealt with over 250 e-mails regarding special use. (I have decided to start tracking this number because it gives a better idea of the workload beyond just the number of reservations.)

**Surprise Cave Committee (Al DeMaria/Bob Simmons)**

Very little activity this quarter; did a call with Carl Herzog from NY DEC concerning the possibility of doing a joint investigation with NCC (under our Stewardship Permit) to assess the reported temperature increases in the cave. Recent data suggests cave has gotten warmer to the point of being near the higher range of acceptable temperatures for hibernating bats in the region. Project would consist of documenting temperature conditions in cave and then assessing the possibility of opening older/additional entrances into the cave to allow for more cold air to enter and settle in cave over winters. Have communicated to owner of rest of cave and discussed recollections of older entrances to cave, at least one of which would NOT be on state property.

**Thacher Park (Thom Engel)**

We had three sessions scheduled this year. In addition, groups could do surveying in Hailes if the required lead time was given to the park. Regarding the sessions, the first date had truly lousy weather and nothing was done. On the second date the weather was better and some surface work was done. We found a deep grike. High water in Hailes prevented any new mapping. On the date, no one showed up except me. Only one group took advantage of surveying in Hailes on other dates. The resurvey of the cave from the entrance to “Farthest West” was started. 460 feet of passage was surveyed

**Attachment C  
Treasurer’s Report**

**NCC Treasurer Report**

Negotiations with the National Speleological Foundation continue regarding the contract to manage long-term investments. Note the placeholder figure above to track the Board-approved Life Membership Fund. Please see the motion under New Business regarding establishment of the Investment Committee. FYI The NCC’s registration with the New York Charities Bureau will be renewed by 11/15/17, the same day our federal tax returns are due.

Northeastern Cave Conservancy Inc  
Profit & Loss Budget vs. Actual  
January 1 through September 15, 2017

09/15/2017

	<u>Jan 1 - Sep 15, 17</u>	<u>Budget</u>
Ordinary Income/Expense		
Income		
Donations		
Auction Donations	2,168.26	2,400.00
Donations - Other	<u>5,425.95</u>	<u>5,805.00</u>
Total Donations	7,594.21	8,205.00

Grants	4,700.00	0.00
Interest Earned	11.70	10.00
Membership Income	<u>3,230.00</u>	<u>4,300.00</u>
Total Income	15,535.91	12,515.00

Expense

Acquisitions	0.00	2,000.00
Bank Charges	23.48	85.00
Donations-outgoing	0.00	200.00
Dues	0.00	350.00
Education	0.00	50.00
Executive		
President	0.00	100.00
Secretary	0.00	50.00
Treasurer	0.00	50.00
VP	<u>0.00</u>	<u>50.00</u>
Total Executive	0.00	250.00

Insurance	2,536.00	3,025.00
Legal Fees	0.00	1,000.00
Licenses & Permits	0.00	50.00
Meeting Expense	0.00	100.00
Meetings & Conferences	170.00	170.00
Membership Expenses	0.00	100.00
Miscellaneous	0.00	100.00
Office Expense	0.00	100.00
Postage	61.60	100.00
Preserves-Maintenance		
Bensons	20.00	250.00
Bentleys	20.00	600.00
Clarksville	20.00	300.00
Ella Armstrong	20.00	100.00
Knox	20.00	100.00
Merlins	20.00	100.00
Onesquethaw	20.00	100.00
Sellecks	20.00	100.00
Spider	<u>9.23</u>	<u>175.00</u>
Total Preserves-Maintenance	169.23	1,825.00

Printing	984.31	1,000.00
Promotion	915.93	1,300.00
Publishing		
Mailings	0.00	50.00
Website	<u>1,400.00</u>	<u>60.00</u>
Total Publishing	1,400.00	110.00

Sponsorships	0.00	300.00
Taxes on Properties	<u>112.64</u>	<u>300.00</u>
Total Expense	<u>6,373.19</u>	<u>12,515.00</u>

Net Ordinary Income	9,162.72	0.00
---------------------	----------	------



Other Income/Expense		
Other Income		
In Kind donations	0.00	0.00
Net Gain or Loss from NSF Fund	3,000.23	0.00
Volunteer Value	<u>26,372.00</u>	<u>0.00</u>
Total Other Income	29,372.23	0.00
Other Expense		
In Kind Out	0.00	0.00
Volunteer Value Exp	<u>26,372.00</u>	<u>0.00</u>
Total Other Expense	<u>26,372.00</u>	<u>0.00</u>
Net Other Income	<u>3,000.23</u>	<u>0.00</u>
Net Income	<u>12,162.95</u>	<u>0.00</u>

**Barn Dance Subcommittee - Emily Davis & Mike Warner:**

Problems: I need tent volunteers who can arrive 2 hours before the dance. Still do not have this locked in. Someone will need to deliver the NCC Tent as I will only have my car and will have the squeeze box as I will be coming from Thacher Fall Festival.

We need donations from the board members or for them to find local donors. So far, I only have donations from Vince, Alan, Christine and Bill Folsom.

Plans: Keep trying to find more donations and staff to run the event. Strip the walls of my dining room to set up the Knox display again.

Progress: Have food service and entry staff on board. Leslie on board for working with the raffle/door prizes.

**Membership Committee – Peter Youngbaer:**

**Progress:**

**Membership Renewals and New Members:** Membership has declined this year by about 25% in the Regular membership category. The timing of the spring NRO/MAR presented some issues, but we sent lists to both OTR and the fall NRO, which netted a number of renewals. Thanks to the Office Committee and anyone else who helped with that.

All renewal notices for memberships up through November 1 have been sent. Second notices for summer lapses and third notices for spring lapsed memberships have also been sent. All new memberships and renewals have been acknowledged and entered into the data base. It is current as of today, September 15.

Our current membership stands as follows, compared to the baseline of April 22, 2012:

<b>September 15, 2017</b>	<b>April 22, 2012</b>
Life: 62	Life: 18
Family Life: 9	Family Life: 0
Benefactor: 5	Benefactor: 10
Regular: 74	Regular: 88
Family: 19	Family: 16
	Student: 0 (category eliminated as of 1/1/17)
Institutional: 5	Institutional: 3
TOTAL: 174	TOTAL: 135

**Institutional Members:** *Our current five members are VCA, CCG, NNJG, NJIRT, and Camp Echo Lake. If your grotto isn't listed here, please urge them to renew or join. Thank you.*

**Membership Brochure:** Mailed two copies of the new brochure and a cover letter to all who were members as of 1/1/17 and since. Only a couple of returns to the office for bad address – and only one [REDACTED] we cannot find new address or email for. I saw him at the NSS Convention, but didn't know he'd moved and changed email. Anyone with info, please let me know.

**Problems:**

**Dues:** Regular memberships have notably declined. I sent membership status lists to the EC and Office Committee going back to January 1. There are lots of active cavers who are not up to date. I can dun them by email (and with the snail mail brochure mailing), but it is most helpful when other NCC Board members and officers take note and nudge their caving friends to re-up.

**Benefactors and Life/Family Life Members:** Still have received no swag for mailing to members, and no response to my last two reports regarding Life Member certificates. Please let me know what you want to do with those.

**Plans:**

**Normal Operations:** Will continue to send renewal notices through the end of the calendar year, as well as second and third notices, as applicable.

**Life Member Certificates:** See above. Once we clarify where we stopped sending, we can create and catch up with new ones.

**Office Committee Report - Emily Davis & Mike Warner:**

Problems: None

Plans: status quo

Progress: status quo

**Publications – Christa Hay:**

Progress: Newsletter sent out week of September 11th. Press release for Barn Dance is being sent out week of September 11<sup>th</sup> as well.

Plans: next newsletter will have a preserve report so whichever preserve is up for review please plan on sending in a detailed article and photos.

Working with Eva Hunter on possible artwork for new tee shirts etc. Our logo will remain the same and the NCC with bats will remain the same but looking for special design for events etc. I would like to have a contest with a worthy prize.

Problems: I am hoping the board can help with supplying articles for the newsletter. Danny has been having a difficult time with filling the newsletter. In the past we had discussed changing to two times a year to have a newsletter and hopefully fill it with more articles and make it more professional. General events formation on the website and Facebook so our newsletter could contain more in-depth articles if this is decided. If not, the board and EC really need to help and start supplying articles or at least send some ideas on what we can do and I will reach out to possible authors.

I also noticed that there are items in the NCC Facebook page that do not make it on the website. I am primarily concerned with events, for example the cleanup at Tory cave. This is an ongoing concern with most organizations but I believe that if we are going to have a website and Facebook then we need to keep them both as up-to-date as possible. I understand not every piece of information needs to be on the website.

**Technology Committee Report – Mike Chu:**

New site is up and running. Kept mostly up to date.... Still have growing/startup problems that need to be worked out, mostly with semantics on the preserves page. [REDACTED] Would like to get a definite answer before updating the preserve pages, so it doesn't have to be done twice.

I would really like to hand the whole site over to a new webmaster -- someone with more time and love to give to it -- but at the moment most of the likely candidates in the immediate pool (myself, Luke, Seth) all have just had a second baby or are about to. Anyone have any other suggestions for people that could/would do it?

The volunteer value form is the current hot item; I will try to get that working better. It is built off a pre-built plugin (which isn't as flexible as my handwritten code), so some of the things will likely not be the same as before.

**Volunteer Value Committee – Vince Kappler:**

Progress: Year to date totals: 1395 hours of volunteer work for NCC projects for a total value of \$40,318.00. Members also reported traveling 4696 miles to work on NCC projects.

Plans: I will send periodic VV reminders to the membership and monitor data collection.

Problems: There seems to be a minor glitch in the on-line reporting form. Webmaster Mike C. was able to generate a spreadsheet from the website backup system and I was able to credit hours to those who used the form recently. Hopefully, we will have the online VV form repaired soon.

## **Attachment D Secretary's Report**

EC Meeting Notes

July 16, 2017

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM

Simmons, Folsom, Kappler

Berger, Young on conference call

*Agenda items were arranged to accommodate members on the conference call.*

1. Potential President: Young will invite the applicant to the September meeting to meet the board. Board members should review applicant's resume and cover letter prior to the meeting.
2. Officer Reviews: Officer reviews are scheduled for the September meeting. A straw poll will be taken to determine if the board would like to meet at 9 AM, in closed session, to conduct the reviews. Ideally, we can schedule 20 minutes for each officer. Alternatively, we can meet at 10 AM, conduct the reviews and begin the regular meeting at 11. We would advertise the "open" meeting as beginning at 11. Young will circulate a list of review questions to the Trustees. Note to EC: Thom may have locked us in to a 10:00 AM start time, will need to confirm before we offer a 9:00 AM slot for reviews.
3. Endowment Fund: Young recommends the NCC consider establishing an endowment fund to generate income to support the operation of the conservancy. A financial advisor has offered to speak to the board on the topic. EC consensus was that the spring meeting would be the best time.
4. NSF Contract: National and international caver events have delayed further work with the NSF on starting a dedicated Life Membership Fund. After much discussion, the EC will be recommending that the board amend Act 12-125 (Life Membership Fund) to allow investment in a low cost mutual fund until a formal contract with the NSF is approved. The proposed amendment and discussion points will be prepared and placed on the September agenda.
5. NCC at OTR: Simmons will transport the NCC tent. NCC members attending the event are urged to help setup and volunteer a few hours manning the display.
6. NCC at NRO: Simmons will contact NRO and VCA to get permission to conduct an auction.
7. Barn Dance: Arrangements are not yet completely locked in but some volunteers have come forward to help setup and tear down. Date appears to be September 30<sup>th</sup> pending confirmation from the band/caller. The EC is encouraging all board members to actively support the event either in person at the event, donating interesting items for the silent auction and/or by volunteering to help the Barn Dance Committee with the various tasks needed to make the evening a success.
8. Membership Events: Thacher Park would be a good location for a membership event in summer 2018. Board should discuss feasibility and interesting activities. The Thacher Event Center would be an ideal place to hold our 40<sup>th</sup> Anniversary Event in mid-October 2018. Simmons will discuss with Engel about availability and secure the date.
9. Liability Insurance: We have not received final bills for our new policies and the office will be closed for several weeks. The EC discussed strategies to monitor incoming mail for an invoice and get our payment in the return mail as quickly as possible.
10. Sharing Confidential Information: Berger attended the Conservancy's Round Table at convention and other conservancies were interested in what we learned and how we adapted to the recommendations of the legal reviews we commissioned. Kappler opined that we should share what we know with other conservancies. Others cautioned that Act 24-103 requires that proprietary legal advice should not be made public. The EC will be seeking guidance on how to respond to other conservancies asking for our help.

11. Web site: The new website is attractive but some outdated information and bad links have migrated from the previous site archives. So many glitches need attention that a suggestion was made that a work session may be in order.

12. Fall EC meeting: November 5, 2017 in Connecticut

Additional items:

6/12/17..... Minutes from March 2017 were amended per board request and sent to the webmaster

6/19 ..... draft minutes from the June meeting were sent to the webmaster

6/20 .....18 pages of the board manual were updated and sent to webmaster

6/24..... meeting notes sent to Danny

7/21..... draft EC meeting notes sent to Board

7/29 - 8/9 ..... managed e-vote authorizing Acquisitions Committee to move on a proposal

Conflict of Interest

I've collected and organized hard copies of the signed CoI forms and they are available for review. I emailed select committees that should be on record as complying with the policy and to date most have returned the forms.